About the Writing Centre
Anyone taking a distance class administered by the Distance Education Unit can use this free service. This includes online, independent studies, televised, multi-mode and off-campus classes.
- Provides tools and support to help you write effective essays, reports, or reviews.
- Simply submit a project draft and a qualified tutor will assess your work and offer advice to improve your project.
- Contact the tutor if you have difficulty getting started, or want advice on constructing an outline.
- Note: tutors do not replace writing instruction in your classes – they enhance and support it. Tutors will not write, edit, or proofread assignments and will not ghostwrite essays or offer instruction in English as a second language.
- You do the work. We support you in the process.
- Write a project draft.
- Use the following timelines when submitting:
- Assignments sent and returned online or by email should be submitted at least 2–3 days (48–72 hours) before the due date.
- Assignments sent by regular mail or fax require more time. Contact the DEU Writing Centre for more details.
- Essays may be submitted on weekends but return times may be slower
- Your assignment will be returned along with a Tutor Critique Sheet. The Critique Sheet will provide comments about the following areas:
- What are the paper’s strengths?
- Describe any weaknesses concerning the thesis or focus, voice or tone, organization, development, paragraphing etc..
- The tutor will suggest a strategy to improve on each weakness and offer additional comments to help you with your assignment.
If 'Submit Online' form does not work, email your information and documents directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
To discuss your assignment with the tutor:
- Call 306-966-4594
- Available Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays from 1:00 to 4:00 pm
- You can also call this number outside of available times and leave a message.
- Or, email with questions concerning your projects.